-- Henry Ford
Wow! Where did the summer go? We can't believe that it's time for the new school year to begin, but here we are! The Roscoe PTO has some really exciting things planned for this year. If you've been paying close attention over the last couple years, you'll have noticed that the we have been introducing more and more events to our District.
Some of those events, like Family Science Night and Family Movie Night (there will be 2 this year!) are designed specifically to give our school community a fun, educational, and inexpensive (or even FREE!) place to come and spend time together. Other new events, such as the Harvest Moon Market & Craft Fair introduced last year, are designed to help us raise a little bit of money for the schools as well.
The bottom line in all of this is the PTO's mission of bringing our community together in support of our schools. No, we'll never be able to get completely away from traditional fundraisers, simply because the need in our schools is so great. But this year, we are incredibly excited and proud to present to you, one of the biggest events the PTO has ever done...
The Harlem Wizards vs. The Roscoe Alley-Oopers
Legend tells of a local basketball team whose players are unrivaled in skill and ability. You may be wondering why you've never heard of them. Well, they are so good, they have never found an opponent willing to challenge them...until now.
Introducing the Roscoe Alley-Oopers, an all-star team of teachers from across the Kinnikinnick School District! On Saturday, September 21st, they take on the Harlem Wizards in a high-flying show of trick-hoops and alley-oops. Join us and cheer on your teachers in this unique and exciting event!
More information can be found on the Harlem Wizards page of our website including pictures and an exciting video. Tickets are available now for purchase online, or by completing a paper order form and returning it along with your payment to your student's classroom or homeroom teacher.
Saturday, September 21st, 2013
Hononegah High School
6:00pm - Doors Open
7:00pm - Game Time
We're going digital! Beginning with the 2013-14 school year, the PTO will no longer be sending home a paper newsletter every two weeks. While we may still send home the occasional newsletter, we will primarily distribute news and updates through our website blog, Facebook page, the District's Digital Backpack, and most importantly our email subscriber list. Why the change? Great question. Here are a few reasons:
- Printing is expensive! While it is true that we've been able to almost completely supplement the cost of printing newsletters through selling ad spaces to local businesses, we would love to take those advertising dollars and put them back into the school instead.
- With so many ways to get you information (website blog, Facebook, other website pages, fliers sent home, etc...), and limited volunteer hours with which to do it, we want to focus on communication through the web. Almost everyone has internet access in some way or another, and we would rather be really good at communicating to you in a few ways, than just 'OK' at communicating in all of them.
- The School District is leading by example, starting the Digital Backpack last year and doing much of their communication through email. We feel it is appropriate to follow their lead.
2013-2014 Rosoce PTO Calendars are on sale now! You will find them for sale at any parent orientation or you can purchase one right on our website and we will deliver it to your child's classroom for them to bring home. A limited number of calendars will also be available in the school offices sometime within the first two weeks of school. Click here to place your calendar order online.
Calendar features include:
- PTO event dates & fundraiser schedules, Kinnikinnick District #131 Consolidated Academic Calendar, and RMS athletics, band, and theatre schedules all in one place.
- Coupons from local businesses
- Other important info including: Kinnikinnick District personnel, PTO committee contacts, Cash-4-Trash, PTO Spirit Wear, basic school facts, and contact info for local community organizations & sports leagues
- Instructions to access a PTO-only Google calendar that can be synchronized with your Gmail, iPad, iPhone, or Android device; keeping you up to date automatically if / when schedule changes are made!
The amount of hours that go into planning and running PTO events and fundraisers over the course of a school year number in the thousands. If every family of our nearly 2,000 students would donate only an hour or two of their time over the course of a year, there would be no limit to the impact the PTO could have in our schools.
If you would like to give us some advance notice on things you might be interested in helping with, please fill out our Volunteer Registration Form. It doesn't guarantee that you will be called, because we only call until we fill the needs, but it does help us know where to start. When you see a flier go home requesting help this year, please consider helping out. For a very small donation of your time, you could make a huge impact on the education of our kids. And you may find, as many others have, that your life will become a little bit richer for the experience.
We hope everyone has a safe and happy school year. We'll have much more to share with you soon. Thank you in advance for your support!